This dip is a winner, pure and simple. Rich yet light, warmly spiced, and with a gorgeous sunny yellow color… now, who wouldn’t want to sink a pita chip into a bowl of this goodness? I threw this together for hubby’s and my “farewell condo” party and it was a huge success with our dip-loving friends. I particularly loved the bits of caramelized onion sprinkled throughout. They speak to my veggie loving soul. Dipping a pita chip into this curried cauliflower goodness really is like dipping into the flavors of India!
Dip Into India
1 head cauliflower, broken into florets
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced fine
1 tablespoon yellow curry powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup fat-free Greek yogurt
1/4 cup lowfat sour cream
dash cayenne pepper
dash freshly ground black pepper
- Fill a small saucepan with water, a few inches deep, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Add cauliflower, reduce heat to simmer and cook, partially covered, until tender when pierced with a fork – about 10 minutes.
- When cauliflower is tender, drain completely and transfer to a mixing bowl. Using a fork, mash to your desired consistency – I like it a bit chunky, but you can go smoother if you want. Who’s to stop you?
- In a small saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and salt, and saute until tender and translucent. When onion is cooked, add curry powder and sugar and toast until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Transfer onion and spice mixture to mixing bowl with mashed cauliflower. Add yogurt, sour cream, nutmeg, cayenne and black pepper and stir to combine with a spatula.
- If desired, mix in a tablespoon or two of chopped cilantro, and garnish with cilantro.
Source: Adapted from Delicious Dips