Somehow, I got out of the habit of making seasonal to-do lists. I blame life and its constant infernal busy-ness. I know that I missed spring and winter, and can’t even remember if I did a list (or perhaps made a list and then forgot about it?) for fall. But it’s such a fun exercise, and even though I never manage to check everything off, it’s a great way to plan out a season full of fun family activities. And with a new season just upon us – one of my favorites, at that! – there’s no time like the present to get back into the habit. So here’s my summer list for 2016:
- Run the 50 Yard Finish 5K.
- Eat lots of summer fruit – watermelon, cantaloupe, stone fruits and berries, get in my belly!
- Dive into Angela Thirkell’s Barsetshire novels.
- Get back into the habit of buying my produce from our local farmers market.
- Spend a weekend (or longer?) at the beach.
- Look into getting a bike trailer for the kiddos.
- Resuscitate my balcony herb garden.
- Read Cider with Rosie, by Laurie Lee.
- Stock up on bubbles, sidewalk chalk and other fun outdoor toys and let Peanut go to town.
- Take the family on a weekend visit to Ithaca and Watkins Glen.
I’m sure that I won’t get to all of those, and that some of my plans will be replaced by other (more realistic?) options. But it sure is fun to dream about a blissful summer of long hot evenings, fireflies, iced tea with mint grown on my deck, and trips to our favorite summer places.
What’s on your to-do list this summer?