Whoops. Sorry, friends. I didn’t intentionally take almost two weeks off from writing, but it’s been beyond crazy around here. Think I’m kidding? A quick recap of the last two weeks:
- Arrived in northern Virginia, babies and suitcases – and nothing else – in hand.
- Made a floppity jillion trips to Target for all kinds of moving-related essentials. Discovered that hanging shower organizers are an unexpectedly contentious topic in our household.
- Became overwhelmed by logistical details of arranging two separate forms of child care.
- Supervised moving day when our truck finally arrived four days after we did. Maintained admirable degree of equanimity over a long day of fielding criticism from the movers about the amount of stuff we have (I know we need to purge, and I don’t need to hear it for the umpteenth time) and about our life and career choices (did you know that women should stay home until children are at least five years old?). Only snapped after fourteen hours of this, when the movers decided that they weren’t going to bring our wardrobe upstairs. Now living out of a makeshift cardboard dresser and retrieving socks from the living room.
- Became a boiling cauldron of rage upon discovering that the movers disregarded my instructions all day and put almost every piece of furniture… not where I wanted it to go.
- Ignored boxes and left for vacation in Virginia Beach the very next day.
- Spent a blissful week at the beach with my best friend, Rebecca, and her boyfriend. On the agenda: lots of digging in sand and splashing in salty water, boat rides, looking for mermaids, eating fish tacos, and a backyard campfire on the final night. It was all perfect.
- Came home and was instantly enraged by the fact that the furniture did not magically reconfigure itself into logical positions in my absence.
- Celebrated our eleventh wedding anniversary with a trip to REI for another child carrier backpack.
- Welcomed my cousin Jocelyn for a two week visit (she’s watching the kids as part of our bridge childcare plan).
- Took our first hike at Great Falls since moving back. Daydreamed about hiking Shenandoah this fall… maybe?
- Started my new job! A few days in, I’m really enjoying the job itself and my great new coworkers. Can’t wait to get more involved and start taking some of the heat off of my busier colleagues.
I promise regular content resuming next week, including a return to Monday reading posts and a brief series recapping our trip to Virginia Beach. (I was planning just one big post, but I have too many pictures – sorry, folks!) I’ve missed writing here – just haven’t had the head space to plan and draft posts. But I have a lot of ideas for the next few weeks and into fall. It’s good to be back.
What have you been up to lately?