So we’re halfway through winter as of tomorrow, and therefore the wise Anne Bogel of Modern Mrs. Darcy has suggested that we all share what is saving our lives lately. As Anne says, most of us know what’s killing us, and can articulate it, but how often do we stop and give thanks for the things – little or big – that are saving us? I love this question and its call to gratitude, so here’s what’s saving my life lately:
- Sunny walks around Old Town with the kids bundled into the double stroller. It’s all about getting fresh air, and a chill breeze coming off the Potomac feels lovely when you’ve been cooped up in an office and on commuter trains all week.
- Tea, always, and tea-adjacent fellowship. Several of my colleagues, I’ve recently discovered, are tea enthusiasts, and we’ve been stash-diving into each other’s desk drawers. It’s fun to work with fellow tea drinkers again.
- Rock the Park. If you’ve been reading my Monday posts, you have probably seen Rock the Park appear in the “watching” category week after week. It’s such a great show – I love the hosts and the infectious joy they take in wilderness and adventures – and beautifully shot. At the end of a long day, nothing feels as inviting as twenty minutes of watching Colton and Jack hike through beautiful mountains or splash down another stretch of whitewater.
- My earbuds. I chip away at my podcatcher and my audiobooks, little by little, while waiting for the Metro or walking to and from my office. The minutes and blocks fly by when spent in the company of George Eliot or the Sorta Awesome gang.
- Trail time. Whether we’re out for hike in one of the many wooded areas near our house (we’re so lucky) or on paved trails at the National Zoo, there’s nothing like getting out in nature, feeling the sun and the breeze and seeing a few animals, to recharge my perpetually near-drained batteries.
- Instagram. It’s my favorite social media outlet and I’ve built a feed that is truly delightful – equal parts #bookstagram, natural wonders, and my friends’ adventures. My moments of checking in on Instagram are true exhales.
- My soft grey Hanna Anderssen bathrobe, and my red LL Bean rainboots. Both Christmas gifts, both keeping me warm (the robe in the mornings as I stumble half asleep into the kitchen to start lunch prep, and the boots as I slosh through the city to and from work on all the rainy days we’ve been having lately).
- Comfort reads like The Little White Horse and The Making of a Marchioness, both of which I mentioned on Monday. My Folio and Persephone shelves still have more riches I’ve yet to touch, and I’ll be spending more time in Barsetshire this winter, too. The crummier things get, the more I want to read the classics.
- Smiles and giggles from my kiddos as we hang out and play together. I try to maximize every moment I can with them, since I am so busy during the week. I cherish our family dinners, bedtime stories, and little weekend adventures.
- My handsome guy. I feel so lucky to be married to my best friend and true partner. We’re on the same page about so many of the toughest issues in marriage, and lately I have been more grateful than ever that we are able to work together toward our shared goals in a productive and loving way. He’s the best.
What’s saving your life lately?