After a few weeks at the end of July when work was crazy and Steve was traveling, my garden is looking distinctly neglected. I feel badly about this, but survival mode is survival mode. I had to get myself and the kids through the days, and the garden just wasn’t a priority. But I’m working on turning that around in August! Here’s what I’ve got on my to-do list for the garden this month:
- Catch up on weeding between the patio bricks – it’s a jungle in here!
- Pinch and prune the mint, and harvest some to begin drying it for tea and possibly smudging.
- Revive and prune the basil plants.
- Thin out the burnt-out sections of the chives, and prune the rosemary to keep it healthy.
- Prune and harvest tomatoes.
- Research fall container garden plants.
- Pull out dead pet grass (NUGGET!) and plant more sage in its place.
- Trim back the wild rosemary on the front walk – it’s out of control!
- Look into planting a small juniper near the front stoop.
Well – not as long of a list as I’d thought it would be, but – yes. Plenty to do. Sprinkle salt for a cool breeze so I can get in a few gardening evenings this month.
Do you have a garden? What’s on your to-do list this month?